Sunday, February 13, 2011

<< Post #2: Application Letter Critique

Hey all,

Below is my Application Letter for a Management Traineeship Scheme in Keppel Offshore & Marine. Below is the job advertisement, followed by my Application Letter.


Do leave your comments on how I can improve my letter. Thank you! =)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


Management Traineeship Scheme - Graduate Engineer

CareersOur Management Traineeship Scheme (MTS) is an attractive two-year programme for fresh graduates to challenge themselves and build their careers and capabilities.

Trainees undergo comprehensive training through job rotations and professional development programmes, which are designed to expose them to the wide spectrum of our businesses and operations.

This modular-based training programme includes an orientation phase, attachments with various departments, classroom-based learning, on-the-job training and specialized workshops. In the process, our trainees are mentored by some of the best industry veterans.

At Keppel, employees with high potential are given opportunities to be developed for leadership positions and to prove themselves.

Outstanding performers under the MTS will be given further leadership and management development opportunities, sponsorship for further education, as well as international assignments and special projects.

The Keppel O&M MTS is accredited by the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST), an international professional membership body of marine engineers, scientists and technologists.

Upon completing this MTS, participants with the relevant academic qualifications and working experience can register as an Incorporated Engineer or Chartered Engineer with IMarEST.

Requirements:
• Degree in Electrical/Mechanical/Civil/Chemical Engineering (from a recognised university)
• Proven leadership skills with a track record of co-curricular achievements
• Excellent leadership, planning, organising and interpersonal skills

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Md Zabir Bin Md Iqbal
BLK 222 Sentosa Cove St. 44
#11-111, Singapore 666666
Mobile: +65 9000 9000
Email: zabir7@gmail.com

7th February 2011

Ms. Haze Poh
Human Resource Executive
Keppel Offshore & Marine
50 Gul Road
Singapore 629351


Dear Ms. Poh,

Re: Management Trainee Application at Keppel Offshore & Marine

I am writing to apply for the Management Trainee Scheme – Graduate Engineer, as advertised on the Keppel Offshore & Marine website. I find the intricate process of rig construction fascinating and I would like to be part of that challenge. I believe my passion to lead and commitment to excellence makes me a prime candidate for this position.

I am currently a third year undergraduate at the National University of Singapore, pursuing a degree in Industrial & Systems Engineering. My areas of expertise include process improvement, quality assurance and systems optimisation, skills which I will be able to apply to contribute the continual growth your organisation.

My time serving in various leadership positions has given me invaluable experience on effective communication and efficient planning. As a Chairperson in the NUS Students’ Union, I lead an executive committee of 20 and a member base of 30. Amongst other things, I was responsible for overseeing the smooth running of various projects and organising manpower to achieve the committee’s objectives. I believe that these experiences have sufficiently prepared me to excel in your management trainee position.

I constantly seek to learn and develop, and I am excited about the prospect of doing so in Keppel Offshore & Marine. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss my capabilities and potential contributions more extensively in an interview. Please contact me at +65 9000 9000, or email me at zabir7@gmail.com, should you require further information.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to your favourable reply.


Yours sincerely,


Md Zabir

Encl: Resume (Md Zabir)

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zab, please upload your job adv so your classmates can better comment on your application letter.

    As I shared with another student, I feel that it would be a good idea to cut and paste the job adv here. That way, you keep your readers on your blog and not redirect them somewhere else on the WWW. You never know, they might never return...

    Also, you can then guard against the website taking down the job adv, and readers redirected to a page that no longer exists.

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ms. Lim,

    Yes, you do make a valid point. When I pasted the link I did not consider the possibility of the ad being taken down.

    So here is a re-post, with the job advert added! Thank you for pointing that out Ms. Lim. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Zabir,

    It is an overall well-written application letter. I noticed that it was written with a "You" attitude. That gives it a good personal touch.

    Furthermore, you highlighting your leadership skills learnt while in NUSSU is in line with the requirements stated in the advertisement. Being an engineering company, I am sure they'd be delighted to see the words "efficent" and "effective" that us engineers are so used to hear too.=).

    However, I think you need not put your name, mobile and email address right at the top since you have written them in the letter. You could put it below your signature if you still want to thought. Thats what I think structure-wise.

    I found that there is something peculiar about this statement too.

    "My areas of expertise include process improvement, quality assurance and systems optimisation, skills which I will be able to apply to contribute the continual growth your organisation. "

    I am not sure what would be a proper substitute but maybe you could separate them into 2 sentences.

    "My areas of expertise include process improvement, quality assurance and systems optimisation. I will be able to apply (these skills) to contribute the continual growth (of) your organisation. "

    Alright man. Overall good job. Hope you get the job too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zab!

    I think that your application letter is well elaborated. It makes it easy for the reader to pick out your strengths from the letter.

    However, I just think that you can be a little more concise in your second paragraph.

    I think that "My time serving in various leadership positions has given me invaluable experience on effective communication and efficient planning."

    can be shortened into,

    "I had experience in effective communication and efficient planning through my leadership positions."

    Overall, I think that your letter is convincing! All the best with your application too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ikhsan

    Thanks for pointing out the mistake in my sender's address man! And I will take your advice on splitting the peculiar sentence into 2. =)

    @Pei Zi

    I do agree that I could have been more concise with that sentence. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete