With the extraordinary number of different cultures and practices in the world today, it is easy to forget how “one man’s food can be another man’s poison”. Which is why appreciating these differences can go a long way in enhancing the quality of our communication with people of varying cultures.I recall a personal experience where I had an opportunity to work with Michael, an exchange student from the United Sates, in a group project.
In group discussions, Michael had a tendency to challenge every point raised and force his own point across. He would dominate the discussions, freely sharing his opinions and suggestions. My other group mates, who were all Singaporeans, were intimidated by his behaviour eventually relented to his ideas. Some of my group mates were even fed-up with his actions, lamenting how he does not allow others to contribute and participate.
I initially shared the sentiments of my group mates but I slowly began to realize that our disagreements were actually a consequence of a difference in cultural norms and beliefs. I found out that other groups with American exchange students were also facing a similar situation and this suggested to me that Michael was simply exemplifying an American’s tendency to be more direct and opinionated. They have been immersed in the culture of speaking up and getting what they want, and they expect the same out of the people around them. My group mates (and Singaporeans at large) interpret their behaviour as abrasive and aggressive, a style which they are totally unfamiliar and unappreciative of.
Michael later gave further insight when he shared how fiery discussions with his peers were a norm back in the States, and how indifference is actually uncommon.
From this experience, we can learn how appreciating one’s cultural background plays a critical role in ensuring effective communication. A person’s actions or intentions can sometimes be a direct consequence of the culture they grew up in, and only by understanding and accommodating their norms can we fully appreciate the idea or message that is being put across.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Zabir,
ReplyDeleteYou put up an interesting entry. I am sure some of us can relate to working with a Westerner at some points in our lives. It is true that most Americans tend to be more outspoken than the average Singaporean.
However, I feel that sometimes when having a very opinionated person in the group, it would encourage the rest to speak up too.
I remembered a few semesters before, I was taking an arts module where the lessons were seminar-based(no, not ES2007s, (= ). The lessons were supposed to involve much discussion over the readings. However, it was quiet most of the time. There was this vocal German exchange student who tried to make the lesson livelier. He somewhat made the lesson less formal for all of us and everyone started to contribute their ideas after he spoke.
I also feel that Singaporeans in general are moving out of the reserved and indifference culture to a more outspoken one. Lim Zi Rui who reflected his discomfort and highlighted critical issues to Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong are an example of such people.
Anyway man, interesting post once again!
Hi zab,
ReplyDeleteI agree with ikhsan that you bring up a very valid point. Americans do tend to be very opinionated especially when there's a brainstorming of ideas.
Maybe this culture originates from how Americans emphasize a lot on independence on their lives? I'm not sure how accurate this is but the impression I have is that most of them leave their parents' wing once they obtain independance by law (not sure about the exact age). They then go on to start nuclear families while we tend to stay in close contact, if not under the same roof as our parents and relatives. Hence it might be the culture there that if you don't speak up for yourself, you won't get what you want because nobody's going to speak up for them.
However, I do think this trend is starting to show in Singapore as we're forced to speak up more and express ideas with components such as class participation :P we do have a long way to go but hopefully we won't need more carrots such as marks to get there.
Thanks for your comments Amanda and Ikhsan! =)
ReplyDelete@Ikhsan: Yeap, I do agree that thier tendency to be outspoken can definitely contribute to livelier discussions. Which proves that if we manage to break down that cultural barrier, we will most definitely reap the benefits!
@Amanda: Yes, a lot of American culture can be attributed to need to "fight for themselves" from a young age and it is important to appreciate that when we encouter such "in your face" behaviour from them. =]